Tuesday, October 29, 2013

IPad Artwork

I recently finished some artwork for a friend of mine who is publishing some RPG books with Scaldcrow Press. This is a cover that I did for his 1930’s era pulp campaign setting.

For me, one of the cooler aspects about this was that I did this almost entirely on my iPad, using Art Studio and a Pogo Connect pressure sensitive stylus. The only thing I did on my desktop was some refinement on the coloring and adding some of the background.

The initial sketch was done on paper, then I took a photo of it and used it as the basis of some 'inking'.

I really like doing it this way. Up until now the available resolution was just too low to really do this the way I wanted, and if it was going to be printed 8.5x11 as opposed to 6x9 I might still have just gone ahead and done it on my iMac.

It's not quite the "poor man's Cintiq" that I wanted, but it was very close. I'm going to do more work like this, certainly in the initial phases. It's very liberating.

 

No comments: